Choosing the Best Method
Before spray foam became the preferred product for under slab insulation, rigid foam board was commonly used. In recent years, insulation companies, including Southland Insulators, have shifted to using Heatlok HFO’s Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF) for a number of reasons:
- Close Contact. When SPF is sprayed onto the crushed stone or gravel base, the liquid foam penetrates the voids in the base and expands and anchors better to the slab. It also creates better contact with oddly angled slabs or surfaces, leaving no area untouched.
- Seamless Seal. Once sprayed, the Heatlok HFO spray foam creates a monolithic layer of insulation—a seamless seal in the thermal barrier. Because the spray foam bonds completely to almost everything it contacts, this aggressive seal guarantees a superior vapor barrier around plumbing and other slab penetrations.
- Superior Strength. Unlike rigid foam board, closed cell spray foam can be walked on shortly after installation and will not break.
- Waste Not, Want Not. There are no extra materials or waste when using spray foam for under slab insulation. Only a hose and a trailer full of spray foam are needed. Installation is neat and clean with no mess or extra product to be cleaned up and disposed of, unlike the bulky leftovers of rigid foam boards.
Benefits for You and Your Family
Understanding why Heatlok HFO spray foam is a top quality product is nice, but how does it benefit you and your family?
That is a great question! There are numerous benefits for you and your family when you choose to install under slab foam insulation for your new home. You will enjoy:
- Warmer temperatures. Because spray foam flows into and clings to small cracks, crevices and irregular surfaces, a protective layer of insulation is created that covers any potential thermal leaks. This helps keep your home at an optimal temperature, keeping you and your family cozy year-round. With warm basement floors during the winter months, your toes will stay nice and toasty.
- More money in your pocket. Since spray foam insulation installation is a one-step process, it requires less time and people to complete the job, saving you money in the long run. With the installed insulation, your HVAC system can work less throughout the year, saving you money on your utility bills. Plus, additional value is added to homes with enhanced thermal properties.
- Protection from harmful Radon gas. Radon gas is a noxious, radioactive gas that naturally occurs in the soil and accumulates in basements. As the second leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S., you do not want it in your home. Spray foam under slab insulation creates a gas barrier that is the perfect airtight protection against soil gases such as Radon.
- Keeping the creepy crawlies out. Spray foam fills the tiny cracks in your concrete slab that bugs and small rodents enjoy using as entryways into your home.
- The absence of mold and mildew. Spray foam creates a moisture barrier and reduces moisture buildup, preventing the growth of mold and mildew throughout your home.
- Increased sturdiness of your concrete slab. The density and hardness of spray foam strengthen the structure of your concrete slab, giving you better protection during inclement weather.
Trust the Experts at Southland Insulators
At Southland Insulators we are here to help you with your under slab foam insulation project. We have been the largest independent insulation contractor in Manassas, Winchester and Northern Virginia since 1986 and our commitment to quality installation and superior customer service is unmatched. We thrive on helping homeowners maximize energy efficiency and minimize their environmental footprint. Contact us today to learn more about our under slab foam insulation services and get a free estimate.